The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realm

Welcome to The Realm ~ Provehito In Altum

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 7028
Life : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 11101010
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

Mood : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 5310
Registration date : 2007-07-20

SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Empty
PostSubject: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 am

I found this disturbing. What are your views? Shocked

SAN FRANCISCO - City health officials took
steps Thursday toward opening the nation’s first legal safe-injection
room, where addicts could shoot up heroin, cocaine and other drugs
under the supervision of nurses.
Hoping
to reduce San Francisco’s high rate of fatal drug overdoses, the public
health department co-sponsored a symposium on the only such facility in
North America, a 4-year-old Vancouver site where an estimated 700 users
a day self-administer narcotics under the supervision of nurses. “Having
the conversation today will help us figure out whether this is a way to
reduce the harms and improve the health of our community,” said Grant
Colfax, director of HIV prevention for the San FranciscoDepartment of Public Health.
Organizers of the daylong forum, which also
included a coalition of nonprofit health and social-service groups,
acknowledge that it could take years to get an injection facility up
and running. Along with legal hurdles, such an effort would be almost
sure to face political opposition.
Bertha Madras, deputy director of demand reduction for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, called San Francisco’s consideration of such a facility “disconcerting” and “poor public policy.”
“The
underlying philosophy is, ’We accept drug addiction, we accept the
state of affairs as acceptable,”’ Madras said. “This is a form of
giving up.”
Sixty-five
similar facilities exist in 27 cities in eight countries, but no other
U.S. cities have considered creating one, according to Hilary McQuie,
Western director for the Harm Reduction Coalition, a nonprofit that
promotes alternative drug treatment methods.
“If
it happens anywhere in the U.S., it will most likely start in San
Francisco,” McQuie said. “It really just depends on if there is a
political will here. How long it takes for that political will to
develop is the main factor.”
Drug
overdoses represented about one of every seven emergency calls handled
by city paramedics between July 2006 and July 2007, according to San
Francisco Fire Department Capt. Niels Tangherlini. At the same time,
the number of deaths linked to overdoses has declined from a high of
about 160 in 1995 to 40 in 2004, he said.
Colfax
estimated that there are between 11,000 and 15,000 intravenous drug
users in San Francisco, most of them homeless men. Like many large U.S.
cities, the city operates a clean-needle exchange program to reduce HIV
and Hepetitis C infections.
Advocates
plan to work on building community support for a safe-injection center,
including backing from Mayor Gavin Newsom and the Board of Supervisors.

While it’s too
early to tell what the room in San Francisco would look like,
Vancouver’s InSite program is located on the upper floor of a low-rise
building in a downtown neighborhood where drug users shoot up in the
open.The site, exempt from federal drug laws so
users can visit without fear of arrest, has 12 private booths where
addicts inject drugs such as heroin, cocaine or crystal. They can use
equipment and techniques provided by the staff, said Thomas Kerr, a
University of British Columbia researcher who has extensively studied
the program.
While
800 overdoses have occurred on the premises, Kerr said, none of them
resulted in death because of the medical supervision provided at
InSite. His research also has shown an increase in addicts seeking drug
treatment and a decrease in abandoned syringes, needle-sharing,
drug-related crime and other problems since the clinic opened, he said.

The results indicate the idea is worth replicating, despite the criticism it may attract, Kerr said.
“I
prefer the approach of the Vancouver Police Department, which was: ’We
don’t like the idea of this, but let’s look at the evidence and at the
end of three years we will tell you either this is something we can
support or it’s something we can’t support,”’ he said.
Back to top Go down
https://therealm.forumotion.com/
Luky
Admin
Admin
Luky

Male
Number of posts : 4090
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

Mood : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 410
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 4:37 am

Well is is indeed disturbing.
Back to top Go down
ONECRUNCH

Male
Number of posts : 202
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

Mood : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 6510
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 11:41 pm

I could provide lengthy thoughts about this logic but do not pay taxes in this state. Good thing I can save my breath and this is another example why I will never live in CA
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 7:28 am

Yeah , I think that is pretty sick too OneCrunch. I just can't believe this is acceptable in Cali. What kind of world do we live in really when we assist junkies to make there lives easier to continue to be so out of wack like this, you know? Shrug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 3:59 pm

SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Xdci7

Could they (by any chance) provide victimes and little boys for serial rapists hile they're at it?

Whatthe ( No Swearing ), man America's really crazy T_T
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 8:59 am

Oh ok I'll give you America is Crazy. Fine were a lil off even LOL
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male
Number of posts : 2240
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue60 / 10060 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

Mood : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 3610
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 6:10 pm

It's not acceptable to say the US is crazy when Europe is leading the way in this method of managing the anti-social activities surrounding drug users.

The initial reaction of the general public is that this is unacceptable, but in reality it is shown to have a lot of positive aspects, intravenous drug-users are here & cause numerous problems for the medical & police services & various methods have to be explored to reduce this burden.

No-one is advocating supplying them with the drugs, put preventing crime, cross-infection, overdoses & all manner of medical problems from injection trauma & embollisms has to alleviate a lot of problems & gives the medical services a chance to provide a contact point for addicts to recieve advice on rehabilitation & support, to pass on condoms to reduce the spread of HIV & other body fluid borne infections.

Getting the problem off the streets has to be a good idea, do you want your kids looking out of the car window seeing someone "shooting up" down some alley or in a shop doorway?

Do you want "dirty needles" laying in the gutter or dropped on the grass in the park?

I think San Fransisco should be applauded for taking a controversial, but forward-thinking approach to reducing the impact of IV drugs on society.
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue60 / 10060 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 am

Does everyone agree with me?

or not?
Back to top Go down
ONECRUNCH

Male
Number of posts : 202
SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Right_bar_bleue

Mood : SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts 6510
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 am

129joe wrote:
Does everyone agree with me?

or not?

Yes and No I suppose.

While i do find it important to bring resourses to these people that will assist in recovering, I feel that placing them in a facility where they can further network to obtain the drugs will make things worse for them. How could someone, interested in rehabilitating, put themselves in a place where other people are doing the drugs?

I agree in the sence that I do not want my kid to come across a needle in a park, or see them in the streets shooting up. However, locating them in a place where no one can see them will take away attention to the problem. The more they are out there the more the problem will be recognized.

While it is a creative approach I feel this is being considered due to political pressure being generated from local citizens that do not want to see it in their city. They would rather hide the problem then address it. The idea serves as a band aid and if I lived there I would rather see my tax money go to additional rehabilitation resourses for these people so they can heal.

Furthermore, I would hate to be the lucky person that has a home or business next to the location of the proposed clinic.
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am

This approach is not hiding the problem, it's addressing the problem by getting the addicts in closer contact with the professionals who can offer support & advice.

Ignoring the problem or criminalizing people with drug problems just drives them further underground - serving only to isolate them socially & deeper into the clutches of the suppliers.
It is the suppliers that need to be stopped & the higher up the chain, the better.
The users, whilst causing a problem, need to be addressed & helped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:39 pm

In Holland, weed (canabis) is legalised...

Result;
All over Europe, the canabis sales are increasing more then they ever used to.
Many tourists come to Holland only for the "coffee shops" - some publicity it gives them on the international level
The higher ups aren't being bothered or caught...

Basically, it made the market more open and more approchable. It's now an accepted thing to be a pot head. If you ask me, it's a STUPID idea. It's going to kill them anyway, so what it does in the mean time to them (side effects) is not my problem.
What IS my problem is that now my kids will for sure have much more of a hard time resisting temptation
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Caihlem wrote:
In Holland, weed (canabis) is legalised...

Result;
All over Europe, the canabis sales are increasing more then they ever used to.
Many tourists come to Holland only for the "coffee shops" - some publicity it gives them on the international level
The higher ups aren't being bothered or caught...

Basically, it made the market more open and more approchable. It's now an accepted thing to be a pot head. If you ask me, it's a STUPID idea. It's going to kill them anyway, so what it does in the mean time to them (side effects) is not my problem.
What IS my problem is that now my kids will for sure have much more of a hard time resisting temptation

I agree with you up to a point - however I was relating to the problem of hardened intravenous drug users & whilst cannabis use has increased & become almost "socially acceptable" - it causes less problems for the police & medical services & is less likely to kill someone than heroin or cocaine/crack & other more addictive & life-destroying substances.

Cannabis use can lead to more hard drug use, but may also be easier to control, & there is evidence that even "soft" drugs can increase someones risk of mental illness. HIV/Aids & other medical conditions & crime/mugging/robbery are much less of a problem than with IV users.

Don't worry about your kids yet Caihelm (is there something you're not telling us?) if you bring them up in the right way with the right attitude & speak to them openly & treat them with respect & intelligence they will make their own decisions in life, rather than falling in with the crowd, my son has developed into a leader rather than a follower & he is not the sort to allow others to determine which path he takes in life.
Back to top Go down
record4
record4

Male
Number of posts : 251

Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 6:31 pm

I was hoping that they'd line the junkies up so that we could shoot them with paintballs
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedrunkidiots.com
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 5:45 am

record4 wrote:
I was hoping that they'd line the junkies up so that we could shoot them with paintballs

Ohh see now that would've have been a far better Idea, I think as well Gus. Big Grin SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Gangster_shooting_guns
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Can I replace the paint with poison? Smile
Back to top Go down
record4
record4

Male
Number of posts : 251

Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Or we could used water guns filled with pee
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedrunkidiots.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts   SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts Empty

Back to top Go down

SF Considers "Shooting Gallery" for drug addicts
Page 1 of 1