The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realm

Welcome to The Realm ~ Provehito In Altum

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?

Go down 
+4
Skittles
129joe
MissGeek
Nessa
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 7028
Life : Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? 11101010
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? 5310
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Empty
PostSubject: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Linux

The EeePC, a 2-pound notebook, uses the Linux operating system. Linux
has a chance to finally crack Microsoft's hold on computing's most
visible domain — mainstream PCs — because of the rise of innovative,
inexpensive machines such as this one.

The free Linux operating system handles big
tasks like running supercomputers and ATMs. Now Linux has a chance to
finally crack Microsoft's hold on computing's most visible domain
—mainstream PCs — because of the rise of innovative, inexpensive
machines.
Of
course, prognosticators perennially say Linux is on the verge. It gets
high marks for security and stability and is widely used behind the
scenes in corporate servers, making it a natural candidate to steal
desktop thunder from Microsoft's dominant Windows. (Msnbc.com is a
joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
And yet Linux PCs still represent less than 2 percent of the market.This time, though, there's actually evidence of momentum.,While the best features in the latest Windows
release, Vista, require top-notch configurations that can quickly ramp
up a PC's price, one of the hottest segments of the industry involves
inexpensive computers.
Laptops
under $400 are real possibilities now, and some of the most buzz-worthy
use Linux, such as Asustek Computer Inc.'s EeePC and the One Laptop Per
Child Foundation's $200 "XO" computer for schoolchildren. Linux also is
available on slim little "netbooks" being pushed by Intel Corp.

Good fit for inexpensive PCs

Not
only is Linux essentially free to the PC vendor, but the operating
system also is better suited than Vista for cheap PCs' spartan hardware
designs. (Windows XP is available on scaled-back PCs like Intel's
Classmate, but it's unclear what will happen after Microsoft soon stops
selling XP to the general public.)
Amazon.com's
top-selling PCs include several Asustek Linux machines. Although
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. recently stopped a test run of selling Linux PCs
in some stores, the company says it will continue to offer them online.
Business
computing suppliers are finding open-source desktops especially gaining
traction in cost-conscious developing markets. For example, IBM Corp.
and Linux vendor Red Hat Inc. recently launched Microsoft-free desktops
for Eastern Europe.
One
buyer is Aleksandar Spagnut, a director of Moscow-based Rushotel, which
needed new desktop PCs for a hotel-building project. Spagnut said his
company saved 30 to 35 percent over comparable Windows machines.
He
added that Linux PCs are now common enough that a snowball effect is
emerging, whereby technical support and "drivers" — which essentially
tell programs how to interact with hardware — are much easier to find.
"This really makes the difference," he said.

A changing conception of computers

Linux
might benefit from a changing conception of what computers are for.
With the rise of Web-based applications that reduce the need for
desktop-bound software, more of the action comes through an Internet
browser now. The feel of the underlying operating system is less
important.
That
means Linux consumers can get a lot out of their computers even if they
are put off by what many reviewers still cite as Linux's biggest flaw:
its uneven user-friendliness. Some tweaks to Linux machines require
higher-than-average computing savvy, although this is less of an issue
than in the past.
Perhaps
more importantly, if the desktop operating system fades further into
the background, PC makers could have greater incentive to save money on
it by offering Linux. The price that big PC manufacturers pay Microsoft
for Windows varies and is not disclosed, but is believed to commonly
exceed $50 per PC.
"I'm
a big believer in the inevitable forces of economics — they're like
glaciers," said Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of Canonical Ltd., which is
releasing a new version of Ubuntu, a leading version of Linux that can
run PCs. "Glaciers carve out terrain. It takes time."
Linux
on the desktop doesn't have to take off like crazy to really start to
matter. Of the 981 million PCs in existence worldwide last year, 1.7
percent ran Linux, according to Gartner Inc. That sounds paltry. But
Apple's Mac operating system accounted for just 2.5 percent, and Apple
is considered a significant, influential alternative to Windows.
"Every
point is billions of dollars to Microsoft," says Jim Zemlin, head of
The Linux Foundation, a consortium devoted to advancing Linux. His
group is meeting with top PC makers next week in Austin, Texas, in
hopes of accelerating their efforts to sell Linux machines.

PC makers treading carefully

The
top PC makers have so far treaded carefully. Dell Inc.'s Web site sells
Ubuntu computers in a separate section for open-source PCs, out of
direct comparison with Windows machines. Dell spokeswoman Anne Camden
said the placement reflects the fact that Linux is still not a
mainstream consumer product.
Linux is partly hampered by its greatest asset: its widely dispersed nature.
Linux
is a core set of code called a kernel; developers build different
layers of software on top of it to serve different computing purposes.
(Open-source providers make money by charging for add-on services, such
as technical support or security upgrades.)
As a result, Linux comes in many flavors,
known as distributions, fracturing the push Linux might otherwise make.
In fact, some programs written for one distribution don't work in
another.
"We
haven't figured out to how to federate the marketing of the technology
as well as we've figured out how to develop the technology," Zemlin
acknowledged.

Back to top Go down
https://therealm.forumotion.com/
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female
Number of posts : 82
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I read once on Servhome's support forum that a testing session has been done at Paris city where PC were put to self-service for common people, just like a cybercafe, for surfing, word processing, sending emails, etc. without using any proprietary application thought Wine. When the people who organized the test session asked the people who finished testing what they think about Linux, they wondered what they were talking about LOL

If we want people to discover Linux, the best way is to let them test it freely.

Once I will have installed Ubuntu on my PC, I'm gonna let Mom test it first, then my father and my brother. Why Mom first : I have less patience with Dad and bro than with Mom.

I already use OpenOffice for office tasks since I couldn't reinstall MS Office because of an issue with the licence number. I had no much problem to get used to OOo Writer's function even if a few things were differents in the table editing interface.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 pm

We had a UE (Unit of Lessons) on Informatics which was resumed to desktop applications; tables, word precessing etc...

90% of my class went straight to the Windows application to finish off early while we "stupid people" tried the OO version.
I found it kinda hard to adapt, but then again I'm slow at adapting

I think if I change computer, I'm definitely passing to Linux for several reasons:
1. Cheap
2. A challenge, not too difficult apparently so I could succeed
3. I read somewhere that servers used Linux based programs, so if I wnt to learn more, it'd simplify my life getting used to Linux NOW
4. cheap Smile
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male
Number of posts : 2240
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue60 / 10060 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? 3610
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 pm

They have advertised in the english paper The Sun that a laptop using the Linux system will be available later this year for £99, about a third of the normal price for a basic laptop over here.

Sounds great value to me, & could force its competitors to lower their prices too.
Back to top Go down
Skittles
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Skittles

Female
Number of posts : 952
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? 410
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:43 pm

wow!!! that cheap?? Maybe I should look further into this. Altho I don't want a laptop. I HATE laptops. I just can't get used to the keyboard and mouse pad thing. I know I know, I can attach a regular one to it, but that just seems silly.
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue60 / 10060 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 7:44 pm

It takes some getting used to but my sons laptop is great & we want to get my daughter one for Christmas too.
Back to top Go down
gracielaine
gracielaine

Female
Number of posts : 266

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I went from Windows desktop to Mac Laptop and I LOOOVE it. I will NEVER change
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Laptops are the future.
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 8:43 am

I'm still holding out on buying a new laptop. But these Linux laptops seem quite interesting, and way more cost effiecent. I just don't wish to be the first to try it out and find I won't like it. LOL So I'll await more customer reviews first before I run out and grab one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Colicab
Established Member
Established Member
Colicab

Male
Number of posts : 121

Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:30 pm

thing is, I've always restrained myself from buying laptops because they always do go obsolete in a year's time. I had my eyes on that EEEpc for 2 months in hopes of buying one when I suddenly experienced how sluggish it worked when I borrowed one from a friend because I need something to type my articles when I went to this remote island for a summer swimming spree...

But in all fairness, portablility is a good way to go if you just cant stay in one place so it really depends on the user itself...

Now about Linux, it has lots of flavors to choose from; and ther good thing about it is that your free to tweak anything to your liking. Your only problem is that it is so open, driver compatibility becomes an issue...

ahh... the irony of life...
Back to top Go down
Skittles
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Skittles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 11:46 am

Colicab, it appears you have had some experience with Linux where I do not.

You mentioned how it is more open , and how you can tweek it to your liking. I am assuming you are meaning the registry?

Because it is more open, doesn't it make it more susceptible to beginners crashing the system by removing too much?

I ask this because I have not yet found a way to disable the DELETE button from my husband. LOL

He thought it would be okay to delete part of windows once, because all of that weird named stuff he doesn't even use. ROFL!!! Anyway, CRASH was the result. So I fear something like that due to it being open like that, Or is there a way to password code or lock that area of the computer for administrator only?
Back to top Go down
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:29 am

According to what I read : Under Ubuntu, only the super user (root) can install/uninstall programs, and manage accounts and groups.

So, if you install Ubuntu, you create an account for your husband with limited permissions, so he won't be able to do anything on the system.

We can't talk about registry in Ubuntu and Linux distros in general, since Windows and Linux don't have the same ancestor.

Windows is based on MS-DOS
Linux and MAC are based on UNIX
UNIX and MS-DOS don't have any parenthood affiliation.

When you're on a Linux or a Mac machine, you don't talk about defragging your hard drive every week, or having a messy registry.

And about the install of softwares, the way is very different when you compare Windows and Ubuntu (who is a Linux distro)

Windows : You wander on the net during 30 minutes to download the software you want, then you launch the .exe fiile, you click "I agree to these terms", you click on "Next" 5 to 10 times then it finishes.
Ubuntu : .exe files don't exist on Linux, we talk about packages instead. All compatible softwares are gathered in one place, so you just launch the package management utility, you choose the soft you want then you press Install and it downloads and installs the package. Console users even just enter one command line to install a software quickly.

So, even if Linux is becoming more accessible (to the point that when Mr.Anyone uses a Ubuntu machine in a cybercafe, he doesn't even know he is using a Linux machine), newbies who are interested to try Linux must know that whatever the distribution (Ubuntu, Mandriva, SUSE, Gentoo, Debian, etc.), Linux works differently compared to Windows.

So, I suggest you to take a look to the docs and the community here : http://www.ubuntu.com/ (I hope the problem with the english forum will be solved soon, I have a database error message)
Back to top Go down
Skittles
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Skittles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks sooo much Miss Geek for the time you took in explaining that to me fully. I do understand now. Thanks. It is something that I do think I will really look into.

I think all of my main concerns in regards to Mac and Linux machines in the past has been about compatibility. But I know compatibility has increased tremendously in quite a bit of the softwares available out there.

Thanks so very much, and also for the link. Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:38 am

It's a pleasure to answer to your questions.

By the way, I finally installed Ubuntu tonight, and everything went fine ! My dualboot works perfectly !

Now I am currently installing what I need to be able to test my PHP pages under Linux.
Back to top Go down
Skittles
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Skittles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Cool! Sounds promising!
Back to top Go down
Max™
Power Member
Power Member

Male
Number of posts : 523

Mood : Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? 1410
Registration date : 2007-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat May 17, 2008 4:07 pm

as far as i remember, Linux was based on the old old dos & wordperfect 3.1 days, it was the foundation on what is now windows operating systems,
Linux is free, there's other software making gaming and desktop applications look and feel like windows,
nobody seems to like vista, myself incuded,
vista is the admin of your pc, it tels you what you can or cant do, but i like to be in charge of my pc,
windows is working on another operating system, it was due in around 5-6 years time, but they are bringing it forward, they know we hate vista, its a total 3D desktop like a galery with thumbnail pics of your most used programs on the walls, you can pan in & out taking a pic & place it on desktop as the program you was using, takes its place on the wall,
i have seen a demo and i'm interested.
Back to top Go down
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Max™ wrote:
as far as i remember, Linux was based on the old old dos & wordperfect 3.1 days, it was the foundation on what is now windows operating systems,

No, it wasn't based on dos.

For me, DOS == MS DOS
MS DOS != UNIX

(note : "==" means "the same", and "!=" means "different")

These two original systems were opposed to each other.
Windows is based on MS Dos
Linux and MAC are based on UNIX

The proof : Look at UNIX commands and MS DOS commands. For a same function, there are differences. An example : When you make a directory, the command you use under Linux's console is mkdir while under MS DOS, you use md

The fact is that the "Linux" name is a contraction of Linus (the creator's name) and UNIX.

A link about Linux's story : http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/courses/build/internals/ch01s03.html
Back to top Go down
Max™
Power Member
Power Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySun May 18, 2008 3:38 am

sorry,
obviously i do have a bad memory after all,
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:26 am

Quote :
vista is the admin of your pc, it tels you what you can or cant do, but i like to be in charge of my pc

Shocked I don't mean to sound completely clueless here, but I am lol, an is that true? Vista like runs your computer? I never heard of that before. Like you can't override a command because of using Vista?

See I'm so used to my XP and how I can do things on my desktop, you know? But I really want a laptop as well at some point, I just keep putting it off because of this Vista , I'm a lil leary honestly. Some peeps I know that use it, loved it and have no probs with it. And some can't stand it. I'm so toren. Some one push me over this line, either way.. I dunnnooo. lol Chin
Back to top Go down
Max™
Power Member
Power Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySun May 18, 2008 1:35 pm

well to be honest alot of people in UK hate it, theres alot it wont let you do, saying you dont have adminitrative rights but why not when its your pc, it thinks its better than you & i dont wanna use it,
they have tried forcing XP off the shelf and you can not register coppies of XP, only re-register after formatting is allowed,
i know of four people that have formatted removing vista and gone back to XP, that is only four, theres alot more i dont know.
Back to top Go down
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptySun May 18, 2008 3:50 pm

My brother has purchased a computer one year ago and it had Vista on it. Only one month after, he got so fed up of Vista that he had it formatted and had XP installed instead of Vista. One of his friends was already telling him "vista it's big crap, format it and install XP instead".

Vista drains too much ressources ! Even Ubuntu with Compiz enabled (for 3D effects) isn't so greedy !
My machine (a four years-old Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM) would be able to run Ubuntu with Compiz without too much problem (if my graphic card was compatible with 3D acceleration), while it won't be able to run Vista who was even horribly slow on my brother's dualcore PC

Another comparison, between my brother's PC and Mom's laptop with Oblivion (a PC game) installed on both PCs.
- 1-year-old Dualcore PC with vista : Lags like hell even with slow resolution
- 2-years-old Celeron laptop with XP : runs quite OK with medium resolution
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks Miss Geek and Max for both your imputs on this. hug So I can get a laptop and install my XP on it either way. That's good to know. I thought I was just gonna be stuck optionless with this Vista buju. Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Thanx
Back to top Go down
Skittles
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Skittles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:50 pm

I totally agree with everyone else about Vista. Piece of crap.

However, make sure that you get your laptop or computer to be powerful enough to handle Vista, as eventually XP will no longer be offering updates, altho that should be quite awhile before that happens.

Also get higher power than the recommended for Vista. The recommended basically just puts it to the limit, and does not leave that much room to add some heavier software that may take up some high resources.

Let us know how it goes hun.
Back to top Go down
Max™
Power Member
Power Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:58 pm

well in UK they have launched service pack 3 for XP, its the final one, no more updates,
but 99% of SP3 is useful if you run a server or connect to multiple servers within a network,
its totally useless to the every day person with a home pc.

personally, i dont do windows updates as 90% are security issues with internet explorer, errors they created or missed when hackers see a hole,
i do use firefox with the No Sscript add-on and unlike internet explorer, does not use activeX, that alone is a huge security risk as well as 90% of spyware/adware/trojans use/diguise themself as activeX
Back to top Go down
MissGeek
Established Member
Established Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:12 am

Before I install Ubuntu, I was already using Firefox since 3 years already. As soon as I began to use exclusively Firefox, my number of infections have drastically dropped. I use IE only for Web page testing, in order to adjust a few things in my CSS to make my pages compatible IE7/FF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?   Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Time may be right for Linux PCs to emerge...Hmmm ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next