The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Hello!
Welcome to the Realm. You are seeing this message because you are a guest. If you are already a member please login on your account, if you are visiting us for the first time please register to contribute to the forum. You will need an account in order to read the messages and to post on the forum.

Thank you for your understanding, The Realm staff
The Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realm

Welcome to The Realm ~ Provehito In Altum

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Go down 
+2
Nessa
ONECRUNCH
6 posters
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:13 am

I. Introduction
On the internet, an Avatar is the representation of the person behind the screen. In forums, the avatar is a small picture whereas in video games, such as World of Warcraft or Second Life, the avatar is the character being played.

II. "Is the Messenger as important as the Message"
People convey themselves through the avatars they choose. Some people, notably teenagers, use these to explore facets of the world and themselves. You could choose the avatar to be a picture of how you imagine yourself, a picture enhancing certain facets or aspects of you. Some choose on the contrary to take pictures of celebrities and "blend in".
Some psychologists say there is a risk that young teens can loose themselves and get addicted to the image they are conveying through their avatars. Others say that on the contrary, avatars allows them to choose who they are and explore with a certain safety different aspects of their personality.

III. Where You come in
What is your opinion on avatars? Do you think they can convey messages? Or do you rather think these are pointless?
Back to top Go down
ONECRUNCH

Male
Number of posts : 202
Avatar's Debate Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Avatar's Debate Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Avatar's Debate 6510
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Me needs avatar. I do not feel they need to represent the person specifically and this is the only forum I have been on where people are using ficticious characters. In looking at many of them on here I am not sure what people are saying about themselves either.

If there are teens out there that loose themselves through their avatars then that is very scary. It's just a picture on the internet.

The only thing I see avatars serving a purpose in is to help others, by use of a picture, Identify the Poster faster. This board is a perfect example of this in that everyones SN is very small and one would more than likely identify the poster by his / her avatar. That said I do not feel they are pointless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:28 am

Well, this little writing about avatars is more true in games such as WoW or Second Life. Here the avatar is more than just a picture, but a full body in movement (in picture LOL)

You say it's the first time you see people using virtual images, I'll reply to that saying it's the first time I see people using photos of themselves as avatars Smile
Guess it depends on which part of the net you're used to surf on then
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 7028
Life : Avatar's Debate 11101010
Avatar's Debate Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Avatar's Debate Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Avatar's Debate 5310
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:08 am

That is true Caihlem, When I first came to these forums from most of my pic rating websites. I didn't really see what the point of an avatar was because I had always used a pic simply as my main identification on previous sites. But as time passed, I realized creating or making your own personal avatar could actually be a fun way to choose to challenge your graphic skills. Which I have come to love in the end really. Since learning more about avatars and finding images to best suit ones character I have made avatars for friends and staff simply because ,well it is fun. Smile

But the one thing I still and do find very confusing about avatars, is when a man chooses a female avatar because she is sexy or beautiful, it is kind of misleading when you see a female avatar and it is really a male behind it, simply confusing. I'm a firm believer that guys should use male avatars and girls female avatars. Thats' my nessa avatar logic and I'm sticking to it. lol Big Grin
Back to top Go down
https://therealm.forumotion.com/
ONECRUNCH

Male
Number of posts : 202

Mood : Avatar's Debate 6510
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 am

Caihlem wrote:
Well, this little writing about avatars is more true in games such as WoW or Second Life. Here the avatar is more than just a picture, but a full body in movement (in picture LOL)

You say it's the first time you see people using virtual images, I'll reply to that saying it's the first time I see people using photos of themselves as avatars Smile
Guess it depends on which part of the net you're used to surf on then

It's true that it depends on what forum you are on will dictate what most will post.

I would never use a photo of myself, (cough oneslowride cough). But something of interest to me like a Car, Scenery, funny statement, Etc.
Back to top Go down
Adi
Established Member
Established Member
Adi

Female
Number of posts : 107

Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Well I know this is an old topic - but
thought I would add my comment to it.

I really like seeing the different avatars
that people choose for themselves - especially
if the one chosen in some way reflects a part
of that persons character, beliefs etc.

I often choose animal or nature avatars - quite simply
because I'm an animal/nature lover and so my avatar
says something about me to those who I meet on forums.

I do agree also that they do help to identify the person
quicker - though if you get more than one of the same
avatar being used, this may not always be the case.
Back to top Go down
http://happyhour.forumotion.com/portal.htm
record4
record4

Male
Number of posts : 251

Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 pm

Avatars are dumb. If you are scared to show your face on the internet then you shouldn't be using it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedrunkidiots.com

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Says the shiny bug Razz
Back to top Go down
record4
record4

Male

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm

I consider the shiny bug my anti-avatar. I had a picture of myself on here for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
129joe
VIP
VIP
129joe

Male
Number of posts : 2240
Avatar's Debate Left_bar_bleue60 / 10060 / 100Avatar's Debate Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Avatar's Debate 3610
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 am

Avatars are a bit of fun & nothing more really - you can use them to give yourself an identity or to shield it, depending on your viewpoint or level of insecurity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm

record4 wrote:
I consider the shiny bug my anti-avatar. I had a picture of myself on here for quite a while.

Ah, and what a smile too Smile

Personally, I like Avatars because you can use iut as grounds to express yourself, or show off your Graphics art Smile
Back to top Go down
record4
record4

Male

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 6:57 pm

I guess so, if you are a graphic artist with some artistic talent.
Back to top Go down
Scamite
Banned
Banned

Male
Number of posts : 240
Life : Avatar's Debate 44101010

Mood : Avatar's Debate 3310
Registration date : 2008-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 am

I like to use avatars. It allows me to express who I am without giving away my identity. I'm able to show my interests and what's important to me through my avatar and signature.
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Admin
Admin
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 7028
Life : Avatar's Debate 11101010
Avatar's Debate Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Avatar's Debate Right_bar_bleue

Mood : Avatar's Debate 5310
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 am

Me too Scamite, I'm always looking for cool new renders to use as avatars to suit my taste. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://therealm.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avatar's Debate   Avatar's Debate Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1